Monday, May 3, 2010

The Great PB&J Heist

Yesterday one of my very good friends came to visit with his son (my godson, Logan). It was wonderful to see them again; visits are too few and far between. We had a great time barbecuing and playing blocks with the little guy, even though it felt like summer outside (way more hot and humid than any of us were prepared for).

The pups did pretty well with Logan too, though they both love little kids and have been around him before. What they cannot resist is the lure of a good sandwich. Poor little Logan's size failed him this time...since he's the same size as the dogs, I think they found an easy mark in the food foraging department.

At one point, I heard Logan's squeaky shoes stop in the hallway and turned around to see Maxx standing in front of Logan (who was holding part of a PB&J) and then Maxx's slobbery mouth found its way around little Logan's hand (sandwich and all). At first, I thought...Oh my god, we're going to have to go to the emergency room...but, as gently as Maxx sucked in that little PB&J-weilding fist, he just as gently released. No scrapes, bumps, bruises or anything...just a mildly startled little baby who ended up giggling two seconds later. While Steve was alarmed, I was actually pleased - not at the fact that Maxx took it upon himself to steal a toddler's sandwich, but at the fact that he was so absolutely gentle when he took it. To be sure, he was reprimanded and had a time out, but this just reaffirms how gentle the pups have always been with little kids.

Incidentally, about 30 minutes later, Sydney sidled up to Mr. Logan (sandwich piece in hand again) and just stood there until Logan handed the gastronomic prize over. Well, nobody said they're perfect. They are dogs, after all...and, I have never met a dog who could pass up food...but, as usual they were very patient with the little guy's petting and block throwing (Maxx got beaned in the head by a Little People block that was hurled across the living room) and I think they were pretty entertained by a person who was just their size ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment