Fourth of July 2010
____________________________________________________________________________________
We celebrated the babies' first 4th of July last weekend. It was hotter than all get out here, so we really ended up hibernating in the house most of the day because the babies can't take that kind of heat. But, it was fun just the same. Of course, the babies were having a not so fabulous day and were pretty grouchy (had to give myself a time out), but with all their tummy troubles...I guess it was to be expected. They sure looked cute doing it, though. I couldn't resist getting them each a 4th of July outfit. Molly's said "Mommy's Little Sparkler" - how cute is that?!?!? And, Wyatt's had a little red peace sign on the back. So, they were cute while grumbly.
In other news, my crusade for an answer to this digestive/reflux saga came to a head at the end of last week. After much researching and insistance, we got the babies on a new medication that seems to finally be giving them some relief. It's a totally different protocol than anything our pediatrician or pediatric GI have done, but both were willing to be more agressive because this has been so incredibly extreme. Steve and I also made the decision to switch their formula (I have to supplement their breastmilk because I can't make enough to feed them both exclusively). It got to a point with the hypoallergenic formula they were on that they were both screaming bloody murder at every single feeding. I started to wonder if it was because they simply hated it. So, last Saturday afternoon, Steve and I conducted a taste test of the hypoallergenic formula and my breastmilk (maybe a little cooky)...and oh my god, we couldn't blame them for screaming every time we came at them with a bottle. That formula was absolutely disgusting - suffice it to say, I had to drink half a bottle of tonic water just to get the taste of one sip out of my mouth. The breast milk, on the other hand, tasted like vanilla soy milk.
So, we switched them to an organic brand (it's milk-based, which we were nervous about) and it's been so much better. A girlfriend of mine actually wondered if they could have a sensitivity to pesticides (which aren't found in organic formulas/foods) as opposed to dairy proteins - I never would have even thought of that. But, who knows, it's a possibility. To be on the safe side, I'm still keeping dairy out of my diet, which has been easier than originally anticipated. And, at this point, we're just thankful that they seem to be a bit happier this week. If we can get through next week in the same fashion, then we know we're moving in the right direction. For now, we just wait.
Happy summer, everyone!

2 comments:
So cute! I saw that "Mom's Little Sparkler" outfit! It made me want a little girl! I am impressed by your taste testing......that's a good idea! Maybe I should do that while I wean Brady to figure out what we can replace that tatses closest to breast milk :) I hope things continue to improve for the little sweet peas!
Those little babies are so adorable in their 4th of July outfits!! So sorry you guys are still struggling with GI issues. I hope the new formula brings good results! I'm sure you have great doctors, but let me know if you want me to run it by our GI docs. Miss you! Kiss those cute baby cheeks for me!
Post a Comment